Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Cardamom and damson plum cookies

OK. It took a little longer than expected to publish the recipe for this cookie. My apologies. I made these heavenly bites a few nights ago, while the Grinch was stealing Christmas (on TV). It was almost midnight by the time I finished baking them. ( I seem to be doing a lot of late night baking).
Except for the few I kept to take photos of the next day, they were all gone in a matter of minutes. I do have to say though, that they are better the next day, if kept in an airtight container. My damson plum jam is home made. Friends say it's the best jam ever. I tend to believe my friends. If you cannot find damson jam, use a good quality raspberry jam.
Cardamom does it for me, so I used a lot in this recipe. Should you like a milder taste, use less. Same goes for the damson jam. I kinda like it dripping out of the cookies. For aesthetic purposes use less. This is a small batch. You can easily double it.
If you're not thinking Christmas yet, it high time you did folks!


Picture 1


Ingredients:


1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 tsp ground cardamom
pinch of salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 1/2 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup(or so) damson plum jam


Add flour, cardamom and salt to a bowl. Mix well.
Beat together butter, cream cheese, sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolk and vanilla. Next add flour mixture in two parts.
Mix until dough comes together. Chill in the fridge, wrapped in a plastic wrap for 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 350F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Remove dough from fridge.
Roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Using a 1 1/2 inch cookie cutter stamp out rounds as closely together as possible. Arrange cookies on a baking sheet, about 1/2 inch apart.
Bake cookies for about 10 to 12 minutes, until edges are golden. Cool completely. Sandwich cookies together with damson plum jam. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

9 comments:

Melita said...

Yup, it's all about cookies now, and those look delish! :)

I make my own plum jam, and other kinds. Cookies like this sure are better the next day, if they survive :)

Cherie said...

Thanks, Medena. I make a lot of jam as well. You just can't find anything at the stores that comes even close to that homemade taste . Unfortunately I could not find those sour cherries I was asking you about. They make a great jam, too.

Chocolate Shavings said...

Those look deliciou, and I love the picture! Do you have a good jam recipe to recommend, I've been meaning to try making my own.

Cherie said...

I usually make red fruit jams, when these fruits are in season. I don't try to complicate things either. Fruit, sugar and some alcohol at the end will do it. Damson plum jam is my favourite. Just add 800 g of sugar to 1 kg plums( I like my jam less sweet), boil to setting point, then add 1 tbsp Grand Marnier liqueur.That's it.
You will have to wait till next fall for the damsons, though:(

RecipeGirl said...

I love these. Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Nothing beats homemade jam. The flavors you used sound elegant and delicious :)! I'd like to share your cookie recipe with our readers, please let me know if you're interested!

Sophie, Key Ingredient Chief Blogger
sophie@keyingredient.com

Snooky doodle said...

I just discovered your blog and its fantastic ! I m browsing through your recipes. Fantastic! and the photos are amazing :)

Cherie said...

Thanks everyone. Glad you like it.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I'll ever find out how these taste the next day - made these 2 hours ago and have only 3pcs left. Very delicious!!